Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Homemade Fish Balls



I have tasted different types of a fish ball; the one we have in the Philippines, which consider sells as a street food is starchy, pockets of air and artificially flavored, but taste so addictive. The fish balls in China is so firmed and chewy and best to eat only with soup.

Today, I made my homemade fish balls. My Mom used to prepare this every season of galunggong (mackerel scad), she will buy a lot of fish and some she made a fish ball. As an eldest in the family, I always assisted her in-house chores, especially in cooking. She will let me separate the fish meat from the bones there I always complain because I feel the work is a burden. But once she finished cooking them me and my siblings enjoyed and fighting for more, she always tells us “see delicious huh? The hard works always have a satisfying reward”.

Try my homemade fish balls, any question regarding the recipe please let me know.


Ingredients:

1.5 lb. Basa fish fillet washed
Bamboo skewers
Vegetable oil for frying
½ cup grated carrot
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 bunch fresh green onion, finely chopped
1 cup organic all purpose flour
1 egg
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. active yeast


Procedure:

1. Boil water in a pot enough for the fish to cook.
2. Place the fish in boiling water and let it boil until it gets cooked.
3. Drain and put it in a large bowl. Let it cool.
4. Use a fork to shred the fish meat, once it is shredded adds the last nine ingredients. Mix them well to incorporate ingredients.
5. Let it sit for 30 minutes, in this process to let the active yeast works.
6. In cooking the fish ball, I baked the half of the mixture and deep fry for the half, actually both ways works perfectly fine.
7. Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or pan, once the oil is hot turn the heat over low setting. This way it allows the fish balls to cook.
8. Use your hand to form a fish ball and fry until they get crispy and brown.
9. Thread them on a bamboo skewer.
10. Serve with sweet and spicy vinegar thick sauce and enjoy.
11. In cooking by the oven, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray oil on the baking pan and place the formed fish ball one by one and again spray oil on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Make sure to flip them over halfway time of baking.



No comments:

Post a Comment