Thursday, January 30, 2014

Embutido

Embutido is a known name for meatloaf in the Philippines. I have tasted a lot of kinds of meatloaf, but as a Filipino, our classic embutido is one of a kind. This dish can be served as an appetizer when it’s cold, but mostly we loved to have this with rice.

Oh, how I love embutido, when I was back home at least once a week my Mom served as embutido for our dinner or lunch. The funny thing is, she doesn’t cook it, instead she buys it from our neighbor who is doing business, making embutidos, tocinos, longganisa etc. She occasionally cooks this dish, as I remember only when it is Christmas or New Year. I would say embutido makes it special once Mom prepared it.

In my recipe, I added bacon so it can have a smoky flavor. The aromatic and smokiness of bacon in embutido will surely you’ll get a kick out of this.




Ingredients:

1.5 lbs Ground pork
1 Egg, raw
¾ cup Plain bread crumbs
½ c Cheddar cheese, finely grated
½ cup Grated carrots
½ cup Raisins
½ cup Minced onion
2 Slices bacon, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. Sweet relish
1 Tbsp. Pickled jalapeno pepper, diced
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Hard boiled eggs for filling, cut in half or quartered wedges

Procedure:

1. Mix thoroughly all the ingredients in a large bowl, until blended except the hard boiled eggs.
2. Lay an aluminum foil to roll the mixture.
3. Divide the mixture into 3 portions, to make 3 rolls.
4. Spread the mixture evenly on the foil and fill the boiled eggs in the middle. Roll to form a log and tightly seal both ends.
5. In steaming procedure, I used my rice cooker with steamer function. Steam for an hour or until well cooked.
6. Once cooked, place it in the refrigerator to cool before slicing.
7. You may serve it with ketchup dipper.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete