Sunday, February 9, 2014

Jollof Rice


Jollof rice is one of my favorite dishes from Africa. The dish is widely served in various countries in West Africa and so variations in cooking jollof rice.

What I love about this dish is so flavorful; this is a Biryani version in India as the ways of preparation are almost similar.

I remember those days back in China every time I visited my Dad in Guangzhou, it’s a city where he lived, I can’t forget to pass by in downtown known as “Little Africa”. Many African restaurants, settled around the area, and where many busy businessmen as traders. If I remember clearly, the street called San Yuan Li was located my sister took me in one famous restaurant mainly serves African food. We had lunch there, and they served a big plate of Jellof rice, which two people can share. It was so delicious with stewed goat meat and fried plantain.

I bet you, this is a very satisfying dish. Try and let me know what you think.

Ingredients:

6 cups rice, cooked
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup diced tomato
3 oz. tomato paste
½ lb. chicken breast, diced
2 cups chicken broth, low in sodium
½ cup mixed diced green and red bell pepper
½ tsp. chicken powder
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. curry powder
Salt
Dash of nutmeg powder


Procedure:

1. Heat oil in a saucepan and brown the diced chicken.
2. Sauté in the same pan the garlic and onion until fragrant.
3. Next, the diced tomatoes.
4. Pour in the chicken broth and add the tomato paste.
5. Season with chili powder, chicken powder, curry, nutmeg, and salt.
6. Add the diced bell peppers, and simmer until sauce gets thicken.
7. Lastly, add the cooked rice and mix very well to incorporate ingredients.
8. Simmer over low heat to allow to steam, need a gradually stirring.
9. Best serve with either fried, grilled chicken or fish with greens.



No comments:

Post a Comment